2018 Malaysia Update – Regime change in Malaysia: how, why and the future, 12 October 2018, Weston Theatre, JG Crawford Building (132), Lennox Crossing, ANU
The ANU Malaysia Institute will hold the 2018 Malaysia Update conference on Friday, 12 October. The conference provides an opportunity to examine the recent momentous changes in Malaysia, including the first regime change since independence in 1957, attempts to establish a new democratic nation, and its regional impact.
The conference will feature world-class expertise from leading academics of Malaysian Studies. Attendees will include academics within the ANU College of Asia and the Pacific, as well as government representatives and policymakers, diplomats, students, and the general public. The aim of the conference is to providing fresh thinking about the ways forward for the study of Malaysian society in scholarship as well as reflect on recent changes in Malaysia’s politics, economics and society which may reflect policy-making decisions.
Speakers include :
- Meredith Weiss, State University of New York
- Terence Gomez, University of Malaya
- Amanda Whiting, The University of Melbourne
- Vilashini Somiah, IMAN Research
- Hew Wai Weng, Institute of Malaysian and International Studies, Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia
- Serina Rahman, ISEAS-Yusof Ishak Institute, Singapore
- Sophie Lemiere, Harvard University
- James Chin, University of Tasmania
- Bridget Welsh, John Cabot University
The full conference program will be available in August. Registration is free but essential via Eventbrite.