Call for proposals : The 9th « Engaging with Vietnam : An Interdisciplinary Dialogue » Conference, Touring Vietnam: Exploring “Development”, “Tourism” and “Sustainability” in Vietnam from Multi-disciplinary and Multi-directional Perspectives, Part I: December 28-31, 2017: Ho Chi Minh City,Part II: December 31, 2017: Train from HCMC to Tuy Hoa, Phu Yen, Part III: January 1-4, 2018: Tuy Hoa, Phu Yen
Co-hosting organizations: University of Social Science and Humanities – Vietnam National University Ho Chi Minh City and University of Hawai’i at Manoa, USA
Conference Co-Chairs and Co-Convenors : Prof. Dr. Phan Lê Hà (University of Hawai’i at Manoa), Associate Prof. Dr. Liam C. Kelley (University of Hawai’i at Manoa), Associate Prof. Dr. Võ Văn Sen (President, University of Social Sciences and Humanities, Vietnam National University Ho Chi Minh City), Assistant Prof. Dr. Jamie Gillen (National University of Singapore)
Deadline for proposal submission: 31 August 2017
The 9th Engaging with Vietnam conference with three joined parts will bring about a completely new experience to those who have so far participated and will participate in our conference series. With the theme of exploring “development,” “tourism,” and “sustainability” in/of Vietnam from multi-disciplinary and multi-directional perspectives, the 9th EWV conference will introduce various activities, ranging from keynote sessions and academic presentations to exhibitions, idea contests, a policy forum, Q&A sessions, curriculum development, sightseeing, field observations, and music performances that are all integrated to offer participants opportunities to feel, think, engage, try out and live the conference theme.
Other distinctive features of EWV9 are its length and location. Its length is innovative, as the complete experience will take place over a period of almost 10 days, from December 27 2017 to January 4 2018. Its location is also innovative, as the conference will be held at two places and participants will “tour” from South (Ho Chi Minh City) to Central Vietnam (Tuy Hoa, Phu Yen), a connection that will entail an enjoyable evening tour on the Thống Nhất (Reunification) express train. Participants will celebrate together New Year’s Eve and welcome 2018 on “tàu Thống Nhất,” whereby their explorations of and engagement with Vietnam’s “development,” “tourism” and “sustainability” will continue.
As usual, our keynote sessions and featured panels with speakers from several disciplines will lay out larger (re)conceptualisations, interdisciplinary bodies of scholarship, contradicting arguments, methodologies, and questions that invite everyone to (re)think about “development,” “tourism,” and “sustainability.” Examples include:
- How has the past been packaged in terms of history, heritage, and memory?
- In what ways have tourism and development always been tied up with the past?
- What is the relationship between education, development, and sustainability?
- How and to what extent do the globalisation, regionalisation, internationalisation and nationalisation of “development,” “tourism,” and “sustainability” pose challenges and create new knowledge(s) and discourses for academic disciplines, legal practices, and policy making?
- Why and in what ways have (foreign) language policies and educational reforms been used to justify development?
- What are some major responses from schools, higher education institutions, think tanks, and relevant organisations to such challenges, discourses, policies and reforms raised in the above questions?
We expect to showcase several featured exhibitions highlighting community-engaged projects dedicated to well-rounded “development,” “tourism” and “sustainability” values and practices. We also envision another joint exhibition from artists, students and academics that showcases the various stages of modern Vietnam’s heritage and traditional festival making processes. All of this is really exciting, isn’t it?
Plus d’informations sur : http://www.engagingwithvietnam.net/home